Many women find themselves struggling with stress, anxiety, and depression for a variety of reasons ranging from hormone fluctuations to major (and minor) life events. While there are many ways to reduce stress, some still find it difficult to overcome these feelings, which leaves them searching for alternatives.
One new phenomenon that has been reported about from major news outlets like CNN and CBS News is adult coloring. The hobby that was once reserved for children, as a way to keep them occupied or calm, has reached a new demographic recently and has turned into an international trend. Adults are applying the same reasoning to themselves and are turning to adult coloring books as a way to distract them from the daily pressures of life.
There are a number of benefits that accompany adult coloring, including:
- Brain relaxation. Coloring and other activities that are hands-on provide an opportunity for your mind to calm down, since there is no active concentration needed – aside from trying to color within the lines!
- Less stress and anxiety. Yes, coloring has the potential to reduce stress levels! This is due to stimulation of the creative parts of the brain during coloring, while also calming the amygdala, which is responsible for fear and stress responses in the brain.
- The ability to unplug. When you are coloring, you are also removing the distractions of technology that invade most every aspect of life. This gives you the chance to promote creativity in the brain as opposed to focusing on consumption of information only.
- Everyone can do it. You don’t need to be Picasso or Michelangelo in order to color, nor do you need to be creative – anyone can pick up a coloring book and reap the same benefits.
- It’s a portable hobby. Unlike some hobbies, coloring books are easy to grab and carry with you wherever you go. Whether you are waiting at the doctor’s office or sitting on a flight, your handy stress reducing coloring book can go with you!
The best part is that there is an extremely wide selection of coloring books that are tailored for adults, and are not the average kids’ coloring book. They offer a higher quality of paper, a variety of themes, patterns, and level of difficulty – designs ranging from easy to intricate. Whatever you are a fan of, we promise that there is an adult coloring book that you will enjoy!
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to take the place of the doctor-patient relationship and any email is not appropriate for emergency care. To schedule an appointment, please call your doctor's primary office, listed on our Locations page. In case of emergency, we are available 24 hours a day.