Many women are overwhelmed by the prospect of losing weight or managing a healthy weight. With new diets surfacing daily, and a constant barrage of unrealistic images of “healthy” women, it can be daunting to even know where to begin.
Here are some practical, simple changes you can make to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle:
- First and foremost, do not give up! Remember: taking steps toward a healthier lifestyle may not be easy, but it WILL be worth it.
- Take small steps. Make small and manageable changes first, such as drinking water and eating breakfast. Trying to change everything at once may only lead to frustration and feeling overwhelmed.
- Snack mindfully. Between meals, choose healthy alternatives when snacking. Nuts, fruits, and seeds will satisfy hunger, help keep energy levels up, and won’t make you “crash” like sugary or fattening treats will.
- Eat enough food. Your body uses food as fuel, so make sure not to restrict caloric intake more than needed. A great way to determine how many calories you need is by using a calorie calculator, like this one.
- Know your portions. One of the first and most important steps is to understand what a portion size of food is and to only eat that amount. Many people do not know what a correct food portion is, which leads to overeating.
- Develop a supportive network. A great way to ease into a healthier lifestyle is by surrounding yourself with friends or family who have the same health goals. Join a gym together or even host a healthy potluck dinner so you can encourage one another.
- Stay positive. There is truth behind the idea that positivity goes a long way, so make sure you stray away from negative thoughts about your body in general. You are absolutely allowed to love your body while also working to become healthier.
- Remain realistic. Simple changes do not mean they will be easy, necessarily. While losing weight can be simple in theory, by changing eating habits and exercising, that does not mean the process will be easy for everyone. Just remember…improving your health is worth it!
These are just a few simple tips on ways you can begin to live a healthier lifestyle. Keep in mind that everyone is different, and while these tips may work for one person, you still need to find what works best for your lifestyle and body. Before making any changes to your diet or fitness, always consult your physician.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to take the place of the doctor-patient relationship and any email is not appropriate for emergency care. To schedule an appointment, please call your doctor's primary office, listed on our Locations page. In case of emergency, we are available 24 hours a day.